Welcome to the Friends Of Lake Superior Nordic Trails website.
The mission of the Friends of Lake Superior Nordic Trails is to enhance cross country skiing facilities, trail grooming and maintenance in the Chequamegon Bay area and surrounding region, to provide members with quality cross country ski opportunities and member events, and to create and enhance a cross country ski community and sport specific culture.
The Friends group receives money from 3 main sources:
- Doing functions at the Superior Vista Bike Tour, which makes us a beneficiary.
- Helping groom at Book Across the Bay, and getting paid for this.
- Our membership donations. Please see the membership tab for more information.
Successes to date include:
- Purchased a John Deere Gator and a 108″ ginzugroomer, to be used for grooming where needed in the area, mostly Ashwabay and Book Across the Bay.
- Raised money and purchased a Scandic SWT Snowmobile, to be used for grooming where needed in the area, mostly Ashwabay and Book Across the Bay.
- Helped with grooming labor and equipment upgrade at Ashwabay/ Jerry Jolly Trails the last 2 years.
- In partnership with 4HCANSKI hosted a ski race for 3 years running, twice at Ashwabayand once at Valhalla Recreation Area.
- Raised money and purchased a 84″ Ginzu Groomer used mostly at Ashwabayand Book Across the Bay at this time.
- Paid a stipend to “volunteer” groomers for their hard work at Valhalla Recreation Area.
- Raised money to help the Forest Service purchase a new snowmobile for grooming at Valhalla Recreation Area.
- Took over grooming labor with four volunteers at Valhalla Recreation Area for 2 years.
- Increased the frequency of grooming for 2 years at Valhalla Recreation Area.
If you have questions, please call: (715) 779-3208